Our Weekend Recipes Are Back
Summer has arrived…at last….maybe?!
Either way it’s once again time to light up the BBQ. This weeks’ recipe is a real winner, its secret are the slow cooked sweet caramelized onions (try and get Vidalia onions!) with rich and sweet aged balsamic vinegar. Don’t cheat on the cooing time low and slow will guarantee the best results……Enjoy!
Balsamic Caramelized Onion Turkey Burger
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 3 large onions (any kind will do, but I usually use white or red), cut in half and then sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp (3 large cloves) of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs dried thyme
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- balsamic caramelized onions
- whatever you want to put it on: whole wheat bun, english muffin, pita, greens, etc..
Make the balsamic caramelized onions:
- Put your sliced onions and vinegar in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid. If you don’t have one you can use a pot instead, but the process may take a bit longer. Cover and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes.
- Take off the lid and continue to cook, stirring every few minutes, until there is no liquid left. Once this happens, the onions will start to caramelize. You’ll then add 1/3 cup of water, stirring again until there is no liquid left. Repeat this process until onions are fully cooked and caramelized. Set aside.
To make the burgers:
- Mix together all ingredients, form into 8 burger patties. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Make sure it’s nice and hot before adding your burgers or they may stick. You can also cook these in a cast iron skillet. Either way, using medium-high heat, they should take about 7 minutes on each side. Flip only once to get the juiciest burgers and cook until the burgers reach 165 degrees or if you don’t have a thermometer, until they’re hot and no longer pink on the inside. Put a slice of provolone on each one and close the lid until melted (this will only take a minute or so).
- Serve each tasty turkey burgers on whatever you like, such as a whole wheat bun, english muffin, greens, etc., along with about 1/8th of the caramelized onions.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.thefoodieandthefix.com